This Cookie Notice applies to any websites and applications, including ed.voicethread.com, voicethread.com, and mobile applications (“VoiceThread Website(s)” or “Website(s)”), which are operated by or on behalf of VoiceThread Inc. (“VoiceThread”).
Any personal information you do provide us through VoiceThread Websites is governed by VoiceThread’s Privacy Notice.
What is a Cookie?
Cookies (and similar technologies, e.g., pixels) are pieces of data issued by a website that, among other things, allow your computer to utilize all the features on the Website. When your computer accepts a cookie, the cookie may be stored on the computer’s hard drive.
Below we provide more information about the specific types of cookies utilized by VoiceThread websites, and what those cookies do.
Data Collected via Cookies
Each time a computer visits the VoiceThread Websites we may collect certain data from that computer. This data is automatically collected from the computer’s web browser and may include data such as the following:
- the type of web browser software the computer uses (for example, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox);
- the name of the domain from which the computer accessed the Internet;
- the Internet address of the website from which the computer linked directly to the Website;
- the date and time the computer accessed the Website;
- a device identifier and regional location (not specific location).
We may use this data to help us make VoiceThread Websites more useful to you and for other business purposes. For example, we may use the data to expand infrastructure capacity in certain regions or examine which services are used most by a particular group of users. We may use this data internally at VoiceThread to prepare reports, other materials, and for other internal purposes as well. We may share the data with third parties solely for the purpose of providing a necessary service to VoiceThread or the Websites.
WE DO NOT SELL OR RESELL ANY USER DATA, NOR DO WE SHARE WITH THIRD PARTIES FOR VOICETHREAD’S OR A THIRD PARTY’S ADVERTISING OR BEHAVIORAL TRACKING PURPOSES. FURTHER, WE DO NOT SHARE WITH THIRD PARTIES FOR VOICETHREAD’S OR A THIRD PARTY’S FINANCIAL OR OTHER BENEFIT.
Types of Cookies Utilized by VoiceThread Websites
Cookies can either be session cookies or persistent cookies. A session cookie does not identify you personally and automatically expires when you close your browser. A persistent cookie will remain until it expires, or you delete your cookies. These cookies do not expire when you close your browser. By assigning your computer a unique identifier through a persistent cookie, we are able to create a database of your previous choices and preferences on the Websites which can be provided by us automatically, saving you time and effort on future visits.
A description of different cookie types, the specific functionality of the cookies, and how/ if a particular cookie is used by VoiceThread websites is provided below.
Necessary cookies enable basic functions on VoiceThread Websites, like page navigation and access to secure areas of the Websites. VoiceThread Websites cannot function properly without these cookies. Necessary cookies are used for the following purposes, including:
- Preserving your website session state across page requests;
- Identifying trusted web traffic to keep VoiceThread Websites secure.
Preference cookies enable VoiceThread Websites to remember information that changes the way the website behaves or looks during your experience, like your preferred language or information specific to the region that you are in. Preference cookies are used to establish a unique user ID that recognizes you on returning visits in order to improve and personalize your website experience.
Statistic cookies help us understand how visitors interact with VoiceThread Websites by collecting and reporting information anonymously. Statistics cookies are used for the following purposes:
- Collecting anonymous data on visits to VoiceThread Websites, such as the number of visits, average time spent by a unique visitor on the website, and what pages have been loaded, in order to generate reports for optimizing VoiceThread Websites’ content;
- Determining what type of device (smartphones, tablets, computers, TVs etc.) is being used to access the VoiceThread Websites;
- Gathering anonymous technical information regarding users’ browser, operating system, IP address and screen resolution as well as your navigation on the website.
Advertising/Marketing Cookies (NOT USED BY VOICETHREAD)
- VoiceThread does not utilize any advertising or marketing cookies, nor does it engage in cross context or other behavior advertising.
- If VoiceThread ever begins to use advertising or marketing cookies, it will be only after a user has been specifically notified and agreed to their use.
How to enable cookies and local storage for your browser
Please look for the operating system and browser type that you’re using to access VoiceThread, and follow the steps provided.
Firefox treats cookies and local storage as the same thing, so these steps work for both.
- Click on the menu icon in the top-right corner of your browser.
- Select “Options” or “Preferences”.
- Click on “Privacy and Security” from the list on the left.
- From the drop-down menu, choose “Remember history”.
- Close the window.
Chrome treats cookies and local storage as the same thing, so these steps work for both.
- Click on the menu button in the top-right corner of your Chrome window.
- Select “Settings” from that menu.
- Click on the “Privacy and Security” tab on the left.
- Click on “Site Settings.”
- Scroll down and click on “Third-party cookies.”
- Click on the radio button next to “Allow third-party cookies.”
- Scroll down from there and make sure that voicethread.com is not in your “Block” list. If you see “voicethread” anywhere there, click on the trash can icon to remove it.
- Click on the Menu icon on the top-right corner of the browser window (three-dots).
- Select “Settings” from the menu.
- Click on “Cookies and Site Permissions.
- Under Cookies and data stored, click on Manage and delete cookies and site data.
- Toggle the “Block third-party cookies” to the on position.
- Scroll down to “Allow” and click the “Add” button.
- Enter “https://voicethread.com”.
Safari treats cookies and local storage as the same thing, so these steps work for both.
- Click the “Safari” menu and choose “Preferences”.
- Click the icon labeled “Privacy”.
- Make sure the option for “Block all cookies” is not checked.